Land Rover Military History
Land Rover vehicles are legendary for their rough and rugged character along with their unparalleled off-road capabilities. Those features are appealing to a lot of drivers, and they also make the Land Rover the ideal vehicle for military applications. Learn a little about Land Rover military history below, and experience these all-powerful vehicles in person at Land Rover Freeport near Rockville Centre.
Models from Land Rover Military History
A number of Land Rover models have been modified for military usage, and there are even a few designed exclusively for use by armed forces:
- SIIA Ambulance – The British Army relied on this vehicle for much of the Cold War. It essentially has the body of an ambulance integrated onto the rugged chassis of a Land Rover. This design has proved so successful that the British Army continues to utilize a modern variation of it even today.
- SIIA “Pink Panther” – This vehicle was designed to handle the heat, sand, and rugged topography of desert terrain. Around 100 of these vehicles were produced by the British Military to handle special missions and long-range reconnaissance. The US Rangers still rely on an updated version.
- Amphibious SIIA 109″ – This prototype was designed to accommodate amphibious landings, which is why it looks like a Land Rover combined with a life raft. Fifty of the prototypes were built but never actually used in a conflict situation.
- SIII 109″ GS and FFR – These vehicles are essentially identical externally, and they served as all-purpose personnel and equipment transporters for decades. Interestingly, the design is basically the same as the standard production 109″ but with all of the off-road upgrades equipped.
- V8 Centaur Multi-Role Half-Track – To picture this vehicle, imagine the front half of a truck married to the back half of a tank. The result is a vehicle that is more agile than a tank but more durable than a truck.
Land Rover Models Continue to Serve
Land Rover history is filled with impressive accomplishments and interesting anecdotes. If you are just falling in love with this storied brand, you’re sure to also appreciate the Freeport Advantage. Plan to visit our Freeport dealership to check out exceptional new models like the latest Range Rover, or the much-anticipated 2020 Land Rover Defender.
More from Land Rover Freeport
The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover seating is up to five passengers, but if you opt for the available Rear Executive Class Seats this luxury SUV will have two spacious second-row seats for a total seating capacity of four passengers. Explore Rover seating capacity, Range Rover dimensions, and amenities that enhance your Rockville Centre rides no matter…
The Land Rover Range Rover delivers high-quality finishes and advanced features across all trim levels to Rockville Centre drivers, and those interested in its style will appreciate the more than 30 exterior color options, from black to white and everything in between, with solid colors, metallics, premium metallics, and even exclusive SVO and SVO Premium colors…
Range Rover Inventory Many are familiar with the storied Land Rover history and legendary off-road capabilities of the four-wheel drive models, but not everyone knows the exact difference between the terms “Land Rover” and “Range Rover.” Land Rover is a brand, while a Range Rover is a midsize SUV model within that iconic brand, but it…