How Do Car Brakes Work?
How does the brake system work? Understanding how brakes work is helpful for proper brake maintenance and avoiding straining your brakes on Rockville Centre roads. And since Land Rover models are designed to handle intense activity and braking, the brake system technology is more advanced than in your average car. Learn more about braking systems at Land Rover Freeport, and when it’s time for brake maintenance, schedule service near Garden City.
How Does the Brakes System Work?
- When you press down on the brake pedal, a lever pushes a piston into a hydraulic fluid-filled cylinder.
- When the brake pad presses against the brake disc, the friction slows the outer wheels to stop the vehicle.
- In some models, the cylinder pushes the cylinder against the brake drum to reduce your vehicle’s speed.
How to Care for Your Brakes
Proper brake maintenance means having your brakes and brake pads serviced at least once a year. The certified technicians will inspect your brake system for wear and tear or any other mechanical issues. When you aren’t at your local service center, you can take proactive steps to keep your brakes healthy:
- Listen and observe for warning signs that something is wrong.
- Avoid sudden or hard braking when possible.
- Leave enough time for coasting to do some of the work.
- Check your brake fluid levels checked often to make sure there are no leaks.
Signs You Need Your Brakes Checked
You should immediately bring your Land Rover to a certified service center if you detect any of these warning signs, since functioning brakes are essential to your safety and the safety of those around you. Do you notice:
- The brake light is on
- Squeaking or grinding sounds when you brake
- Fluid is leaking
- A burning smell
- The vehicle bounces when you stop short
Visit Land Rover Freeport to Learn More!
When it’s time for brake maintenance in Massapequa, check our service specials so you can save on your next visit to Land Rover Freeport, where we use genuine Land Rover parts. You can also rely on our service department for more automotive tips and questions, like how many miles do your tires last, or when to replace your car battery.
Learn More at Land Rover Freeport
You’ve probably heard how important tire rotations are for the longevity of your tires and Land Rover itself, but how often do you need to actually rotate them? Our Land Rover Freeport service department suggests rotating your tires after every 5,000 to 6,000 miles of driving or when you change your oil. If your tires…
Changing a car battery is something that many people chose to leave up to a mechanic, but if you want to save some money and learn a valuable life skill continue reading! To get started with this tutorial you are going to want to make sure that you have some essential items including: a battery…
Before getting started make sure you have a wrench, an oil filter wrench, and oil drain pan, a funnel, gloves, a jack, new oil, and an oil filter. First, you should check your vehicle’s manual to make sure that you buy the correct type of oil for your car. Depending on your vehicle, you might…