How to do an Oil Change
Before getting started make sure you have a wrench, an oil filter wrench, and oil drain pan, a funnel, gloves, a jack, new oil, and an oil filter.
- First, you should check your vehicle’s manual to make sure that you buy the correct type of oil for your car.
- Depending on your vehicle, you might need to raise the car using the jack for better access. If this is the case, then you should safely use the jack to raise your car, otherwise, you can skip this step.
- If your car has an undercover, remove it by following instruction in your owner’s manual before continuing. You should locate the oil filter and the drain plug.
- Once you have located the drain plug, you should grab the drain pan and place it under the drain plug and remove the oil filler cap.
- Make sure you have your gloves on at this step. To get the oil to drain out, you will remove the oil drain plug with a correctly sized wrench. Make sure to do this step cautiously so as to not get oil on yourself. After the oil has drained, tighten the drain plug.
- Next, you should remove the oil filter. This step will be very messy so make sure to have some sort of rag at hand and the drain pain positioned under the oil filter.
- Take the new oil filter and smear a bit of new oil on the O-ring before installing the new filter. Make sure to tighten the filter the appropriate amount.
- Now that the drain bolt and the new filter and both in place and tightened, you will now add the new oil. You should consult the owner’s manual for the appropriate amount of oil needed for your vehicle.
- Replace the oil cap and make sure it is tightened correctly. Then, you should start your engine and let it run for about thirty seconds or so just to get the oil circulating.
- Shut down the engine then check your work area underneath the car to ensure that there are no leaks.
- Lower the car off the jack if you used one and check the oil level. You will now the oil is full when the oil come to the upper hole or hash mark.
- Lastly, make sure you properly dispose of your oil and filter as these are very common pollutants. You can do this at an auto parts store.
Now that you know how to change your oil, you can feel safe and secure knowing that you’ll always have this skill with you! However, if you feel more comfortable to stop by Land Rover Freeport, our service experts are happy to help!