Land Rover models have been impressing Merrick North and Merrick South drivers for a long time, but what you may not realize is that the Land Rover history goes back longer than you may believe. It all started back in 1947 when a man had an idea about a luxury vehicle that could still seek adventure, and soon after, the Land Rover legend was born. From the time our first model was launched to the public, to a new take on an old favorite was debuted in 2014, experience the 10 best moments in Land Rover history to date.
Land Rover has been lucky to experience plenty of ups in their history, and the following is a timeline of the 10 best memories this company can create.
10. The Land Rover was first designed by Maurice Wilks and his associates in 1947, basing the vehicle on the Jeep chassis. In 1948, the first Land Rover officially launched at the Amsterdam Motor Show.
9. In 1967, Land Rover becomes a part of Leyland Motors, LT, which later becomes known as British Leyland. This partnership helped the company launch its line to a more desirable audience.
8. In 1970, Land Rover debuted the Range Rover, which is still the most popular vehicle model created by the notorious manufacturer. Although the amenities have changed over the years, the base of the Range Rover has always stayed the same—deliver comfort, excitement, and sophistication all in one model.
7. In 1976, the one-millionth Land Rover leaves the production line, proving that this vehicle has gained popularity all over the world and is still here to stay.
6. In 1987, the infamous Land Rover Range Rover is officially debuted in the United States, making this model available to those in a recently untapped market.
5. In 1994, Rover is now taken over by BMW, which allows the Land Rover to continue entering homes with the luxury reputation it has already built
4. In 2000, BMW breaks away from the Rover Group and instead sells Land Rover to Ford
3. In 2007, Ford sells the Land Rover lineup to Jaguar, where the luxury model continues to sit today
2. In 2011, Land Rover introduces the Land Rover Evoque, a new take on a luxury SUV that inspires adventure among all who drive it
1. In 2017, Land Rover introduced the Land Rover Velar, the latest Land Rover edition to hit the Rockville Centre streets
While the Land Rover models have been around for a long time, Land Rover Freeport has been providing these exceptional models to local residents for almost as long. If you’re interested in a Land Rover model, whether a new model or a pre-owned model, you can count on the expertise of Land Rover Freeport to assist you in your vehicle purchase. See our inventory at 146 West Sunrise Hwy in Freeport, NY, or contact us at (516) 935-0600 to learn more about our current vehicle specials.